Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Awake with the Kookaburras

Uncle Don and I had this competition going when we were up at his place in Mapleton last month.

"So, when were you up this morning?"  he'd ask.

"Up with the kookaburras." I'd reply.

One of our neighbours.
The kookaburras start laughing at you right before sunrise.

Which is about 4:30 AM.

Ha ha.

So that, when Ian DOES sleep through the night  (and I mean THROUGH the night, 8 PM to 5 AM through the night and not the piddling 5 - 6 hours the baby books tell you ought to count as sleeping through the night.  Who are we kidding here?!  Although, in retrospect, I would have paid good money to get that much sleep when I had the twins.  Or Andrew for that matter!)....

So that when Ian DOES sleep through the night he is just my favourite little bald man in the entire universe.

He's totally alert and ready for a morning stroll at 5:30 AM.

This will only keep me amused for so long, you know!
Who can blame him?  I'd love to be carried around the block at that hour too.  Make sure the trees are still where they were the day before.  Come back in for a second breakfast.  And then take a quick snooze right about when the other three boys wake up at 6:30.

Idyllic really.

It just sucks being the mode of transportation and the breakfast cart!

Then again, the sight of the kookaburra sitting out on the fence, never fails to cheer me up.

Never mind that he's only watching out for the cane toads who commit suicide in our pool.

I like to think that he's laughing with me, not at me.

Matthew helping out before school.
As I put Ian in his cot and trudge back up the stairs for the third breakfast seating of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment